Understanding pathways of neurological disorders requires extensive research on both structural and functional characteristics of the brain. Graph theoretical analysis of functional connectivity networks highlight the dynamics of communication among brain neurons. Resembling brain to a Networked Control System (NCS), describes seizure, epileptic episodes, as a response to a set of triggers. This unknown set attempts to destabilize the system and so referred to as cyber attacks in network terminology. Our study investigates the dynamics of brain networks under the attack of epileptic seizures focusing on the network parameters variation for pre- inter- and post-attack durations. Statistical analysis of the Scalp EEG-based connectivity networks found significantly (p <; 0.05) higher global efficiency and lower clustering coefficient during the attack compared to those of before attack onset and system reinstatement. This study is groundbreaking in the neuroscience which can take advantage of advancement in cybersecurity. The results of this project are used for a joint effort with the University of California at Los Angles (UCLA).
Publication track records:
- S. Sargolzaei, M. Cabrerizo, A. Sargolzaei, S. Noei and M. Adjouadi, “Epilepsy, a Cyberattack on Brains’ Networked Control System,” 2016 15th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA), Anaheim, CA, 2016, pp. 622-625. doi: 10.1109/ICMLA.2016.0109.
- Sargolzaei, Arman, Mohamed Abdelghani, Kang K. Yen, and Saman Sargolzaei. “Sensorimotor control: computing the immediate future from the delayed present.” BMC bioinformatics 17, no. 7 (2016): 245.
- Sargolzaei, Saman, Arman Sargolzaei, Mercedes Cabrerizo, Gang Chen, Mohammed Goryawala, Alberto Pinzon-Ardila, Sergio M. Gonzalez-Arias, and Malek Adjouadi. “Estimating intracranial volume in brain research: an evaluation of methods.” Neuroinformatics 13, no. 4 (2015): 427-441.
- Sargolzaei, Saman, Mercedes Cabrerizo, Arman Sargolzaei, Shirin Noei, Anas Salah Eddin, Hoda Rajaei, Alberto Pinzon-Ardila, Sergio M. Gonzalez-Arias, Prasanna Jayakar, and Malek Adjouadi. “A probabilistic approach for pediatric epilepsy diagnosis using brain functional connectivity networks.” BMC bioinformatics 16, no. 7 (2015): S9.
- Sargolzaei, Saman, Arman Sargolzaei, Mercedes Cabrerizo, Gang Chen, Mohammed Goryawala, Shirin Noei, Qi Zhou, Ranjan Duara, Warren Barker, and Malek Adjouadi. “A practical guideline for intracranial volume estimation in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.” BMC bioinformatics 16, no. 7 (2015): S8.
- Sargolzaei, Arman, Kang K. Yen, and M. N. Abdelghani. “Control of nonlinear heartbeat models under time-delay-switched feedback using emotional learning control.”, Int. J. on Recent Trends in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, Jan 2014.